Thursday, February 28, 2019

Young B(영비) - Stranger Album Thoughts(K-rap)



   I don't know a whole lot about this rapper named Young B. He was the winner of High School Rapper, then he was on Show Me The Money. No. I didn't find out about him from that show. I don't watch that show anymore because it's just a popularity contest that doesn't involve true talent most of the time. Many of the rappers on that show don't go anywhere after the buzz dies down anyway. Young B came up as a youtube suggestion for me because I'm subscribe to a Korean music channel that promotes a lot of indie Korean acts. Polo became one of my all time favorite Korean rap songs last year after watching the music video. It made me want more music from Young B and he answered my hunger with a full album. His first album is titled Stranger which is being promoted using the track called Revenge.


Track List:
01. Gray (Feat. The Quiett)
02. SOkoNYUN FREESTYLE (Feat. 210)
03. 서울 
04. junky (Feat. YUNHWAY, CJAMM)
05. Business class (Feat. JUSTHIS)
06. 체스
07. ROSE (Feat. Skinny Brown, Homeboy)
08. Ferrari
09. ILOVEUMYSIS (interlude)
10. 밤에 (Feat. kuzi)
11. REVENGE (Feat. 210, kuzi)
12. Next_ (Feat. 스윙스, Dok2)
13. B-site

   

   Stranger opens up as an album that shows more of what Young B can do in an experimental way. While the core of his music is still hip hop, some of the sounds in the beat production are simply old school. It works for the kind of vibe he gives off when spitting those bars. He keeps his music fresh by adding different beats that consist of drums, guitars, and dance pop. The style goes from street rap to chilling in the club type of music as the album progresses. Young B can rap really well but he seems to not feel the need to prove he goes hard on every track. Stranger has tracks such as Grey and Rose that mellow out the impression he might have gave us on Show Me The Money. Grey works well when Young B mixes his singing together with his rapping for a slowed down relaxed tone. The Quiet tore up being dominate rapper on this track so Young B didn't have to. Rose is my fave song on Stranger since its more sing songy rap that blurs the lines of rap and RnB. This track is my "Polo" replacement that I was looking for. Not only does Young B still mange to pull out all the stops at half power on tracks: Junky, Business Class, and Sokonyun Freestyle. The rappers that feature get real hood super quick out of nowhere as well. I'm not sure where these rappers came from. Let's just say they didn't come to play. Young B was right there acting ghetto too. Boy need to stay out the street in Itewon. I caught those "niggas" in some of those bars…. Y'all tried it though. Swings and Dok2's feature gets a little overshadowed. Not that they didn't do the damn thing, their track is too far down the album to have the same impact it would have had had the track been placed in an earlier spot. Revenge becomes an afterthought once you make your way through the whole album. I like the song since it was what made me listen to Stranger in the first place. The track gives a grunge hip hop style that isn't heard anywhere else in Korea. Lyrics take the time to address everything that he's been feeling while using subjects of the normal stuff like never giving up, anger, and love. Young B's chill vibe makes anything he raps about interesting.



  Only thing I can remember when I think of Young B's rapping is that clip I found of him rap battling on Show Me The Money where he dragged the hell out of the opposing rapper[INSERT ME LAUGHING.]. I shouldn't laugh but it was only funny because the other rapper had so much confidence in thinking that he could body Young B and he was dragged so badly that he was rendered silent. Lord have mercy….. I can't. Young B took him down without remorse. REMEMBER KIDS, HIP HOP IS NOT ABOUT HURTING OTHER PEOPLE'S FEELINGS! I do enjoy a good drag every now and then though… Just keepin it real.


   Stranger was a good body of work for Young B. His heart is definitely in this album. The delivery and lyrics are flawless. Show him some love Ya'll.


No comments:

Post a Comment