Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Sam Kim(샘김) - Sun And Moon Album Thoughts(K-indie)




    Sam Kim is that guy singer that has been making music for a little bit, He's been doing his thang in the Korean indie scene and grew a decent fanbase as a result. A couple of artists have shouted out his music on their social media but I believe he got his start on one of those Kpop sing competitions that I never watch. I do keep up with this guy after finding some of his music over the years, even listened to his first album but nothing sold me into becoming a hardcore fan of his. Sun and Moon is his newest album.



Track List:
01. Sun And Moon
02. It’s You (Feat.ZICO)
03. Make Up (Feat. Crush)
04. 그 여름밤
05. The One
06. Would You Believe
07. 무기력
08. If

    I've never been a huge fan of Sam Kim's music. Its not that he isn't goo at music. He actually is fantastic at music. The thing is that I always heard the good vocals and the good lyrics in his songs, however, none of his songs stuck with me after listening to them even once. No melody to hum to in my mind or nothing. So, I stopped really expecting much for the guitar soul singer. Kim has studied up on what it means to be soulful in the groove of his music. One could wonder how much of it is learned then how much of it he actually feels. This side of him comes out as genuine when he opens his mouth though. Sun and Moon still represents Sam as that soulful boy with a few things done that show he is maturing as a musician. He has all the components except for the content that will have listeners singing along after hearing him on television. Sun and Moon as second title track for the album rewrites these wrongs when the song plays out in a big, solid, chorus for Sam's vocals to sail over a catchy rifts. There's enough fun melody here that you can sing along to all day. You will be singing it all day because the track is catchy as hell. Sam does a song with Rapper Zico(Block B) that brings the guitar acoustics to an old school RnB level. Zico isn't my favorite person for reasons that I choose not to discuss. Can't deny that he's a rapper that can flow well with any genre of music. Maybe I'll make a video about the reasons why one day… Crush and Sam might as well sign up to be the God fathers to all the babies in Korea being made to their collaboration track. Nobody was ready for all that cool smoothness in those vocals that snatches panties. I'm not even a big fan of Crush either... Anyway, Sam's still the soulful singer who plays guitar beautifully. A lot of the content on Sun and Moon went over better with me since the tracks have clever melodies that make you put them into memory. Feelings are put into the words that make you feel Sam's heart while he lets the smoothness of his voice paints a vivid picture for all to see. Sun and Moon might be his best album to me.



    Sam's vocals are always never the problem. He's very good at what he does. My issue had more to do with his music not appealing to me until now. His vocals have an RnB John Mayor feel to them.





   If you're a new fan of Sam, Sun and Moon is a good album to introduce you to his music. Korean American's always bring something new to South Korean music. It's really fun to witness.


No comments:

Post a Comment