Wednesday, December 26, 2018

ONEW(온유) - VOICE Mini Album Thoughts(K-ballad)




   I'm still playing catch up on writing post about my thoughts on a lot of the music that was released while I was away. Onew and Key both popped out mini albums since they really didn't have anything better to do after SHINee's promotions ended. *Cough* Military service! .. *cough cough**  My feelings about Key's album are up but how did I feel about Onew's first mini album?





Track List:
01. Blue 
02. 거리마다 (Your Scent)
03. 동네 (Under The Starlight)
04. 어떤 사이 (Sign)
05. 사랑이었을까 (Illusion)
06. 온유하게 해요 (Shine On You)
07. 또각또각 (Timepiece)






   Onew qualifies as the member of a boyband that you know is there. You see him enough to know he exist then you kind of watch him fade into the mixture which is SHINee. The guy never had a strong presence to me. Stage presence for being an attractive idol sure…… We talking natural charisma that isn't practiced robotically in the confines of a mirror in SM Entertainment's dance studio though. One had a chance to prove me wrong and he defiantly showed me some things about him that I didn't know before. Mostly because the idol persona was carefully hiding the parts of him that mattered the most. Voice pulls a fast one as a whole album, coming across much like an album a Korean ballad singer would release. I mean a ballad singer that can actually whale the hell out of a lyrically sad song. Onew comes right up to the plate, volunteering for a change in music that I thought he would shy away from. He could have cared too much about what fans of SHINee's dance kpop sound would have to say for one thing. Also Key played it VERY safe by sticking to what was familiar to the fans which could have also put pressure on Onew to also follow suit and conform. Blue as the promotional track too the singer on a path that allowed him to stand alone. Its a big song that showcases the pipes that were constantly out shined by Jonghyun over the years. His strong vocals did lend good support to Jonghyun since he has a good range. The album after Blue is stripped down to being a simple ballad album. I loved that there are different various slow songs give on Voice. Shine on you adds a gentle pop rock twang. While other track like Your Scent fit in place perfectly on the track list with Blue. Sign's cuteness is perfect for times when you want to skip down the street on a good day as well. Voice being strictly a ballad album at the core will turn some fans off. Onew took a risk that makes me respect him even more than I use to.



   Onew doesn't have the vocal finesse of the Jonghyun however, he can sing well in his own way. Blue was his step out into the spotlight to show what he was capable of by himself. Boy, did he blow the house down with those vocals. I knew he could sing….. Just didn't know that he had THAT in him. I'll apologize for doubting you. *bows head***



   Listen to Voice for talent sake. Onew has a bunch of talent that he gets to show a bit of on his first album. Don't miss out on the chance to listen to him. Ballads don't even have to be your cup of tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment