Sunday, June 10, 2018

歌詞 三代目 J Soul Brothers - Future Album Thoughts(J-pop)

   J Soul Brothers is one unit of the mega popular Japanese group called Exile Tribe. These men have shaped a new image of what it meant to be a manly idol. They did this during a time that pretty boys was the trend and showed Japan that an Idol can be tuff as well as get down in the dirt when needs be. Since then, Exile along with all of the sub unit groups have had major success in Japan. They don't always stay true to their rough, tuff image, but deep down, it will always be the core of who they are. Future is the latest album from J Soul Brothers which comes as a three disc set containing all the singles they have released prior.


CD 1:
RAINBOW
HAPPY
BRIGHT
J.S.B. LOVE
J.S.B. DREAM
J.S.B. HAPPINESS

恋と愛
Welcome to TOKYO
FUTURE
CD 2 – Ryuji SOLO PROJECT:
ONE DAY
Angel
Thank you
Alter Ego
SHINING / feat. Ne-Yo
LOVE HURTS / feat. Brian McKnight
CD 3 – Hiroomi SOLO PROJECT:
INTRO ~CLAIR DE LUNE~
WASTED LOVE
DIAMOND SUNSET
LUXE Feat Crazyboy
Smile Moon Night
END of LINE
HEY feat. Afrojack


  I love Exile Tribe so much. Even though I have no problem stating my feelings about them vocally, I must also state that I don't listen to their music very often. My feelings are filled with a upmost respect for them just for changing ideas in Japan but I have started seeing Exile tribe as a one trick pony after a time. Their songs are either a hit or a miss. Half of the time the music is a miss without the music video. The performers in all Exile groups can burn a damn hole in the dance floor by freestyle alone. They can even dance circles around most Kpop idol groups on any given day(I know I could get some heat for this comment.). I've come to a point of realization that the music isn't as impactful when you're not watching them perform the songs. Whether it be in a music video format or live on stage. Future only ended up on my iPod for old times sake. J.S.B Happiness's vibrant take on feel good symmetry also kind of hooked me a bit. J Soul Brothers's are back for the summer unleashing a good number of tunes that match well with the season. Future holds nothing back in giving listeners electro dance pop songs that do pretty much only one thing: make you dance. Yep, only that one thing and nothing much else. Rainbow is a great example of what I mean. You get a whole lot of beat and a whole lot of no vocals in the chorus. Great moments in Future stop the album from taking a place on the dusty shelf next to all of the other J-artists who sold out to the dance pop genre. Moments from a select few tracks that I like to call the J.S.B series. Each of these tracks have the initials of the group in front of the title. Dream and Happiness are the highlights of the album with Dream having to members bringing their best to the forefront after a long while. The track takes a mixture of old traits in their music, then makes them more current in a dance pop way. I could tell that they were itching to do a track that let them get more manly again. Dream gets every situation lit because of it's fun hip hop take on pop. Definitely the most rememberable track on Future. The ballads on the main disc keep the intensity flowing after J.S.B Dream using a perfect blend of piano and violins in the track's instrumentals. There's enough speed that the performers can dance while actually giving a decent vocal performance that holds a light to Best Friend's Girl from years ago. That's saying a lot since I have yet to find a ballad by the band that can top this song. The other two discs are solo projects by the two guys who sing lead for J Soul Brothers. Ryuji fell out of my good graces after he murdered his duet with Crystal Kay back in 2015. Since then, I have taken note every time he sings of how annoying his voice sounds at times. Hiroomi saves him when they sing together. Surprisingly, He showed me that he could give a decent vocal performance during RnB Jazz track called One Day. He also lowers his vocals into a rich tone for pop number, Alter Ego. Two singers from America hop on two tracks with him which sound very disconnected. Ne-yo tried to make his feature work at least. Hiroomi's disc was mindless dance pop songs like a mentioned above. I skipped most of this disc expect for Luxe and Hey. Luxe feature's Crazyboy who is Elly from the group. Elly finally gave me quality rapping that made me take him seriously as a rapper. His flow was good and he actually gave me bars. My behind had to pause the track after hearing him try to snatch edges. I'm so proud of him. Afrojack(M-flo and a DJ) didn't come to play on his feature either. M-flo's working so hard to stay relevant in Japan while Japan isn't giving him the time of day if you look at his sales….. Hey! should have been the blueprint for Hiroomi's solo disc. This track has all the qualities that all the other tracks were missing. More singing during the dance break and less just letting the beat do all the work for him. The strong conviction in his vocals here was nice too.


   Exile as a whole always has good vocals. I love the high note in J.S.B. Love. Whichever one of the guys hit's that note, was doing the damn thing. I KNOW YOU BETTER SING BOY!!!!! [IN MY BLACK GRANDMOTHER VOICE]

   Future needs some nips and tucks here and there but the album shines during certain portions. I liked the album more than I expected to. There's more good tracks than bad if you consider the first disc only.

No comments:

Post a Comment