Tuesday, May 9, 2017

GLIM SPANKY - I STAND ALONE Mini Album Thoughts(J-rock)



   Sometimes this blog feels like a Japanese rock blog because of all the bands I make posts about. It can't be helped with Japan dominating the rock scene in East Asia for years. Japan still to this day contains some of the most talented guitarists, drummers, and frontmen or front women to debut worldwide. Language isn't a factor cause we all know music is a universal language. I'm glad that I gave Glim Spanky a listen after seeing their album on a Japanese music site more than a few times. Their third mini album is called I Stand Alone.
1. アイスタンドアローン
2. E.V.I
3. Freeder
4. 美しい棘
5. お月様の歌
6. NIGHT LAN DOT (At STUDIO COAST / 2016)
7. 話をしよう (At STUDIO COAST / 2016)
8. BOYS&GIRLS (At STUDIO COAST / 2016)

  The album has an early nineties rock feel thats not too new to Japanese audiences. Especially with artists like The Bawdies and Superfly gaining a huge fanbase over the years. This leaves Glim Spanky to expand on familiar ground while showcasing their own style. One of the major things I noticed appearance wise was that they are a two piece band. Not too many two piece boy girl bands in the Japanese music scene that are popular. Do As Infinity is the most notable two piece band that I know was popular back in the day. Can't say how they're doing album sales wise now. Hopefully well since I'm a fan of them. Glim Spanky slams hard on tracks like E.V.I and album titled track I Stand Alone. E.V.I  can easily be the rock anthem of the mini album, shredding the guitar down to the last note during the track's play through. He then can transition over the acoustic guitar for the softer tracks like 美しい棘 where he still plays with as much skill as he did on electric guitar. They used one melody pattern too much in  some of their songs. I don't like it because it makes their songs sound predictable. Freeder is a good track to use as an example. Catchy track, just too much of trying to make a compromise for the mainstream Japanese music scene. The melody sounds like "wowwww" and its used a lot in other artists music. Glim Spanky used this melody a little less here than they did in their Next One album. Its an attempt to make the chorus of the song catchy, instead it makes the song boring for me. You wouldn't know that the live tracks on I Stand alone are live if it wasn't for the echo of the microphone as well as the audience applause. They have real talent. No doubt about it.

   What really makes Glim Spanky different from every other Jrock bands is the vocalist's unique voice. Her voice is raspy, a far cry from a lot of the female Jpop singers who have cute voices. She sounds like a sick person in need of cold medicine but this isn't a curse for Glim Spanky. If anything, their music instantly becomes more attractive every time she opens her mouth to sing.  She can actually sing too. There in her raspy tone lives a soft side to her voice. This quality mostly comes out during slower songs. I don't know how she transitions so drastically depending on the melody she's singing. I was super interested in her voice when I first listened to them.


  I  Stand Alone hit number ten on the Japanese music chart with more than 5,000 units sold. When I saw this, My heart was happy for them. Its a good mini album to listen to if you're a Japanese rock fan. Highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment