Tuesday, October 25, 2016

BTS(방탄소년단) - WINGS Album Thoughts(Kpop)


Track List:
01. Intro : Boy Meets Evil
02. 피 땀 눈물 (Blood Sweat & Tears) *Title
03. Begin
04. Lie
05. Stigma
06. First Love
07. Reflection
08. MAMA
09. Awake
10. Lost
11. BTS Cypher 4
12. Am I Wrong
13. 21세기 소녀
14. 둘! 셋! (그래도 좋은 날이 더 많기를)
15. Interlude : Wings


    BTS is one of the few bands that this retired kpop fan still listens too every now and then. There's something about these boy that keeps people on edge when they release a new album. I'm not sure if its Rap Monster's powerful vocals while rapping or the boys willingness to carve their own path in the Korean music industry. They might be Kpop idols who have to maintain a certain image but none messes with their musical artistry. Their current album "WINGS" tells of the boys hardships and perseverance.


   I'm not a fan of the title track, "Blood, Sweat, and Tears" just because its a track that relies more on the awesome beat than vocal presence. The lyrics are powerful with the boys telling there personal story of being knocked down and finding the strength to stand up again. The other tracks have each member singing solo to share their own personal stories. I'm not sure which member sings what track and honestly don't care to know. That time of me learning kpop boyband names and having a bias are over for me. I only know Rap Monster because he seems to be the member who does a lot of solo projects. He's also a fantastic rapper. I also remember Suga and Jimin just from when I use to care about that stuff. I really enjoyed tracks where the boys seemed to show growth like "Begin". Such a fun song with a strong meaning a great production to back it up. The lyrics about the boys having each other's back and that causing one to work harder are personal feelings that get be be shared with their fans. The part when the singer sings "You make me begin" makes my heart melt because its so sweet. Another fact about this album is it isn't just Hip-Hop or Rap. The boys are letting out all the emotions the had held in for such a long time. I heard Pop, Ballad, Rap, RnB, and Jazz but these styles aren't there to make the boys look cool. They do used these music genre to appeal to a large audience but BTS never toned down the issues they wanted to write about. This what makes them controversial artists. Kpop idols are expected to sing about very specific topics while dying their hair and putting on eyeliner. BTS will do all these things and still sing a song that breaks the rules of what a Kpop idol should sing about."Reflection" is Rap monster's solo track that talks about a war with himself. He raps, "I wish I could love myself" as a indicator that he's human and has insecurities like everyone else. "BTS Cypher 4" could be a part 2 to "Reflection" as Rap Monster seems more confident here along with the rest of the boys. They uplift their listeners with the anthem's lyrics,"I LOVE I LOVE I LOVE MYSELF!"I started head banging so hard as soon as I heard the beat then the first rap line. More reasons to love these boys even though I'm not a Kpop fan. Their music style is one that could live in the Korean indie music scene and not be frowned upon as fake plastic idol music. Rap Monster plays a lot into BTS having this role of being on the borderline between what is an idol and what is an underground artist. He knows what its like to be an underground rapper who doesn't get the chance to have his music heard by a lot of people. So he cashed in an became an idol. Now millions of people around the world know his name because he took the steps to get his talent heard. I commend him for not losing his soul to trying to be popular and trying to please everyone as an idol. Music is about self expression not dumbing yourself down to be someone your not. People will agree or disagree with what you have to say in your music but one thing to remember is your musical expression is YOURS. Music sounds the best when your honest heart contains it.



   Vocals for Suga and V improved so much after they did that reality show where BTS went to LA and were mentored by African American(black) artists. They needed to have that exposure of the origin of real Soul and Rap. These styles surely didn't come from Korea or Asia so they got a chance to experience what a lot of other wannabe Korean rappers only see through foreign media. I loved how the show's producers set them up to meet with vocalists and rappers who could give them a true understanding of the genres they love so much. Tracks such as "Awake" and "Lie" have these boys hitting notes that they had difficulty hitting in the early part of their careers. I noticed they worked really hard to level up their vocal game after the show was over and they returned to Korea. I'm impressed with the results and I hope they keep growing as vocalists. Rap Monster blows my mind all day everyday. He got the tone and flow to roll with the best of the best Rappers. His singing didn't get passed me either. I heard you brother.... BE THAT JACK OF ALL TRADES! All the others do well keeping up with him and holding their own during rap parts on the album. "First Love" shows that Rap Monster isn't the only one in BTS who can spit a rhyme.


  My cons are that the album can get a little too pop mainstream focused during some tracks. I know some reader is probably saying, "BUT THEY'RE A KPOP BAND!!". I know that but I like BTS because they have tracks in their discography that are nothing like the Kpop music thats out today. Those songs are the ones I tend to gravitate toward the most because the style is a breath of fresh air from all the clones in the Kpop industry.

  "WINGS" got everyone flying to the bathroom to get some tissue to wipe their eyes because the heartfelt lyrics in each track are too strong for all the fan girls and boys to take. I'm glad they stripped down(not literally fans, please don't faint on me...)  and went raw on emotion for this album. Kpop idols are not machines. They have feelings with stories to be told like you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment