Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Accidental Detective(탐정: 더 비기닝) Korean Movie Thoughts






   Here I come with a new post about Korean film, "The Accidental Detective" directed by Kim Joung-hoon and starring Kwon Sang Woo and Sung Dong-il.  

   I honestly couldn't tell you the actual plot to this film. Only thing i know, A man got falsely  accused of murder and he teams up with detective who is put on the case. A baby is somehow thrown in the mix too.




  If readers haven't noticed by now, I watch and buy movies based on if the plot is interesting to me or what actors/actresses are in the movie. I wasn't going to purchase this movie because I wasn't particularly fond of the trailer but I grew up watching Kwon Sang Woo's dramas and he is a pretty decent actor. So I caved in and got the DVD for "Accidental Detective". 




   The film lets you know instantly that its a comedy with its slap stick humor and Kwon Sang Woo playing the role of dead beat whipped husband who is forced to watch a baby. I'm pretty sure i have seen this concept done plenty times before in other movies but i digress, Kwon Sang Woo plays the role in such a realistic way that you remember that he is actually the father of two children in real life. Veteran actor Sung Dong il enters the movie to help Kwon deliver some well needed funny chemistry with verbal and physical abuse constantly being directed toward Kwon Sang Woo's character. The only time I laughed was even the two were on the screen and Kwon was being either hit by Dong-il or he was in some type of trouble. 



   By the one hour mark of the film, I had started playing with my phone, singing to myself, and only half listening to the film. I just couldn't keep my mind into what was going on. Kwon being in the film pushed me to watch to the end but the plot was something that I've seen done so many times before. There wasn't any new twist on the concept either which makes me start wanting  to count down the minutes until the film's conclusion. I kept my eye glued to the screen once again when the two characters finally confronted their villain and that still was the same predictable executed conflict.(Minus the random baby.) If you have watched numerous Korean films then you will have the same feelings a did after this movie is over.(I don't even know if Kwon Sang Woo taking off his shirt and doing a shower scene could have saved this film from crashing and burning.) 
Or maybe it could......

  The film wasn't shot in any particular way that makes it stand out in a sea of other films. You just see the same formula that other K-flims have used. I'm also getting tired of seeing people duking it out in the rain too. We have been there and done it. Next, please? The Director has to put his own touch on that style and make it different.

   Sadly, "Accidental Detective" shows me that Kwon Sang Woo isn't getting the abundance of roles that he use too post marriage and having children. It had to have been hard for him to see the ending of his heartthrob career and the beginning of him only getting certain types of roles. I will say he still looks very handsome even as he soon enters his forties.(Asians don't raisin! Eh?) Sung Dong-il plays the same damn types of characters so much that this character is like his second skin. I'm open to watching this film again to see if I find a reason to like it but so far nothing impressed me. If you want a little bit of humor with a stale plot then give this movie a preview. KWON SANG WOO FANS MUST BUY THIS FILM!!!! YOU MUST!!!!!!! hahahaha I'm just kidding with you guys. Enjoy!!! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment