Monday, June 13, 2016

Never Let Me Go (わたしを離さないで) j-Drama Thoughts

  I don't think anyone is reading this right now since I just created this blogger a few hours ago! However lets party like there's people watching, shall we?!!?? Time to kick things off with 2016's drama, "Never let me go."






  This 10 episode drama stars Haruka Ayase, Haruma Miura, and, Asami Mizukawa. The drama is based off of a novel of the same name. I also believe an American movie was made in 2010. The drama is labeled as Sci-fi which I didn't understand while watching but that label has become more clear looking back at the content of the drama's storyline.

The synopsis of the story centers around children who are taught at a school deep in the woods that's shut off from the outside world. These children as known as angels who's only purpose is to save people who need them.

   The drama was shot in many locations around Japan showing how big the place really is. From small towns, beaches, to the bustling streets of Tokyo. Each place is shot with the mindset of a person experiencing them for the first time. For example a shot may show the streets and buildings of Tokyo while also including the actor/actress in the middle of that scene. I sometimes felt like that characters were being overtaking by the shots which only added to the acting preformances. Even inside shots and the use of little lighting gives you that feel like "the world is against them."






 The acting is what brings the show to life causing the viewer  to invest time in the characters. I'm fairly familiar with Haruka Ayasae as I've seen a few of her movies. She gets type casted a lot in my opinion, not saying she doesn't play the parts well. I'm just so use to seeing her play characters with so many emotional problems that it's got to the point that they can't express themselves. This drama is no exception with her character's presence sucking out all the colors from the rainbows above and turning them completely grey. She wasn't always like this but your going to have to watch the drama to find out more.. *wink* *wink* Then there is Asami Mizukawa who made me love her whole heartily as an actress while hating her character in the story. She's one of the big conflicts in the story along with the other HUGE conflict. I just love how she could easily be mistaken as the villain of this drama but she knows how to mess with not only the viewers mind but the main character's mind as well. You want to choke her but you also feel sorry for her. She played the hell out of her role and kept me watching to see what she would do next. I didn't come to see this drama for her but I sure as hell left loving her as an actress. I did however watch this drama for Haruma Miura. I've been a fan of his for years and I tend to watch the dramas he's involved in. His character looked flat out stupid through this drama and I mean that in the best way possible. He just has a doppy look about him in during most of duration of this drama. Given the the characters background, this makes sense but sometimes he's so awkward that I don't know if I should laugh at him or feel sorry for him. He embodies his character well like I expected.




Overall "Never let me go" tells a story of sacrifice, loss, perseverance, Jealousy, and love. The drama is definitely not your typical Japanese love story and will have you wanting more all the way to its final episode. The first episode was kind of slow and I almost didn't bother watching more but I pushed myself to and I'm happy I did. Give this drama a try if you want a new spin on Japanese drama that's not the same old same old. It won't disappoint.




No comments:

Post a Comment